DWQ Home > Certification > Wastewater Operator Program
Utah Wastewater Operator Certification Program
Welcome to the Utah Wastewater Operator Certification Information Page. The Division of Water Quality will post information to help interested parties become familiar with the Certification Program and related upcoming events. If you have further questions about the program, please contact us at 801-536-4344, or e-mail us. Rules governing this program are found in Utah Administrative Code, R317-10.
Notice:The recent proposed changes to Rule R317-10, Certification of Wastewater Works Operators, were made effective on August 27, 2014. The official public notice and text of the changes are available on the Division of Administrative Rules website. An unofficial "reader-friendly" version of the revised rule is available here until the changes are made on the official website.
- Permit Wizard
A tool designed to assist individuals and companies involved in activities regulated by DEQ to identify the permits, licenses, registrations, and certifications required for those activities.
Answers to Common Certification Questions
- How do I become a wastewater operator in Utah?
- Application Forms—
Where do I get them? (Used for exams, renewals, "change in status," or reciprocity.)
- What is a "Citizenship / Alien ID Certification" form?
- CEUs—What are they?
- How do I renew my certification? (Note: Recent changes to R317-10 now allow for reinstatement of an expired certificate up to One Year after its expiration if the required CEUs were earned prior to its expiration.)
- If I'm certified in another state, do I still need to take a Utah exam? More details on "reciprocity"...
- On-Line Training Calendar — Utah Water and Wastewater Operator Training Coalition schedule of classes
- Recent Changes to R317-10 that became effective October 26, 2011 (Text of changes as found on DAR Web site)
Beginning July 1, 2009, the Division is required to verify the lawful presence in the United States of an individual at least 18 years of age who has applied for Wastewater Operator certification. A Citizenship/Alien ID Certification form is available that must be completed, notarized, and submitted to the Division along with a copy of photo identification.
Changes to wastewater operator certification fees. New Certification Fees were approved by the legislature and went into effect July 1, 2009. Certification fees are shown on the Application Form page.
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Phone: 801-536-4344
- Fax: 801-536-4301
Wastewater Operator Certification
Division of Water Quality
P.O. Box 144870
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4870
Division of Water Quality
Multi Agency State Office Building
195 North 1950 West, DEQ 3rd Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116